Ramblings of a true to form Gemini

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Gluten Free Taco Bake

So recently, in an effort to solve my tummy problems, my doctor recommended that I try a gluten free diet. Today is day 3 and everything is going good. I love all-in-one pan dinner, taco bake is a popular dish in my house. I made some changes to my regular recipe to make it gluten free. The recipe is heavy on the garlic, if you don't like garlic as much as I do you can use less.

Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 medium bell pepper
1/2 cup frozen corn
4 cloves garlic, smashed/minced
4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 T chili powder
1/2 t cumin
1 T paprika
Red pepper flake to taste
1 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste
1 packet of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Cornbread Mix
1 1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup veggie oil

Tools:
Cast iron skillet
9"x9" pyrex baking dish
muffet tin, greased

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Brown the turkey in a medium heat skillet with just a touch of oil. Mix together the dry ingredients(chili pepper, cumin, paprika, red pepper flake) and set aside. Drain grease and remove from pan, set aside. Turn the heat to low.
In the same skillet, cook onion, bell pepper and garlic till the onion and bell pepper are soft, salt and pepper to taste.

Add the turkey back to skillet. Add corn and tomatoes. Add the dry mix and the water to the skillet. Simmer untill most of the water is gone, about 10 to 15 minutes.

With a strainer spoon, move the mixture to the 9"x9" pyrex baking dish.


Dump the cornbread mix into a bowl (I use my kitchenaid mixer). Add milk, eggs and oil. Blend on medium until no more dry is visable. Blend on high for 30 seconds.
Pour about half of the bread batter on top of the meat mixture.

 pour the remaining batter into prepared muffin tin 1/2 the way full. I got about 8 muffins.


Bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

I like to serve with sour cream and shredded cheese.
For an awesome variation: add 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese to the bread batter.

No comments:

About

Soledad, Ca, United States
I love to smile! I rarely do anything that won't make me, or someone else, smile.

Followers