Ramblings of a true to form Gemini

Monday, September 6, 2010

Pickled Veggies

The CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) we are a part of delivers awesome veggies. Sometimes we have so much that we don't know what to do with it. I decided it would be nice to make some pickled veggie mix. I like to put it on salads and sandwich wraps. This recipe does not require any canning processing and will keep in the fridge for 1 month or so.
Ingredents:
6 cups water
1 1/2 cups white vinager
1 cup apple cider vinager
1/3 cup salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon coriander 
1 Tablespoon black pepper kernel
1 teaspoon celery seed
4 cloves garlic (I used one big elephant garlic clove rough chopped)
2 bay leaves
Whatever veggies you have on hand, I used 3 medium pattypan squash, 2 medium bell peppers, 1 cucumber and 1/2 medium onion, this was enough to fill seven 1/2 quart jars and still had liquid left over to pickle more.
jars and lids
Method:
Cut the veggies to 1/4 inch x 1/2 inch slices, and long enough to fit in your jars. I used a mandolin slicer.
In a large pot, bring the water, vinegars, salt, sugar, pepper, coriander, celery seed, bay leave and garlic. Boil for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
Take the cut veggies and pack them into your jars. Ladle the cooled liquid into the jars, enough to cover the veggies. Make sure the veggies are stuffed enough not to float. Screw the lids on the jars. Store in the refrigerator for 24 hours before serving.

No comments:

About

Soledad, Ca, United States
I love to smile! I rarely do anything that won't make me, or someone else, smile.

Followers